A mosaic owl is a fun way to add natural wisdom to your decor. Making your own is easier than you may think. With some easy to follow steps and easily accessible materials, I am going to tell you how!
- I used an 8X14.25 wooden owl I had purchased at a thrift store for $1.25 as my base. You can use any cut out you create on your own, or any owl shaped base you may have laying around as I did..
- A variety of iridescent, van gogh, and mirror glass tiles for the body
- Smaller matte glass tiles and flat sided marbles for the eyes
- Weldbond or any pva glue.
- Wheeled cutters
- Black sanded grout
- Grout & tile sealer
- Disposable gloves
- Set two flat sided marbles of the same color for the eyes
- Around the eyes make a circle with a different colored flat sided marbles.
- Around that circle create another circle with the small matte glass tiles. ( The colors and patterns are purely up to your liking. Have fun!)
- Cut a yellow or orange colored normal sized glass tile in half. Slightly below the eyes in the center of the face set each half so the top is a triangle with the flat side on the bottom, and bottom one is a triangle with the flat side on the top. Leave some space between the two so the grout with show and t looks like the beak is open.
- For the face I used the back of white tiles to have the ridges show to resemble feathers when the grout was added. For the ears I cut and arranged iridescent glass tiles.
- The for the body I made a pattern using van gogh and mirror, glass tiles, leaving 1/8″ between the tile pieces for grout. (Once aging the arrangement and patterns is to your liking. Enjoy,experiment!)
- Glue the tiles to the board. you should allow the tiles to dry for at least 8 hours.
- Mix the grout according to directions (on the grout you are using) and with gloved hands, apply the grout over the board. Wipe off any excess with a moist paper towel, making sure not to dig out of spaces in between tiles. The grout should be totally removed from the tile surface or it will harden overnight. A grout haze can be buffed away next day with glass cleaner.
- Apply a grout & tile sealer to the board after 3 days to aid in waterproofing.
- Woo created this gorgeous, one of a kind mosaic owl? Why you of course!
A mosaic owl is unique and fun work of art. It can be admired by the young and old alike!
Make one for yourself, give as a gift or make a whole collection!
Click here if you are interested in purchasing a one of a kind if you are interested in purchasing a one of a kind mosaic owl.